Dog Breeding Services in Youngsville, NC
Our Dog Breeding Services Include:
- Vaginal Cytology to help with timing of breeding
- In House Progesterone testing for instant results with helping to time breeding
- Vaginal Insemination with fresh or fresh chilled semen
- Planned or Emergency C-Sections
- Dewclaw removals and Tail Docks at 3 days of age or younger
15 Minute Progesterone Testing
- Heartwood Animal Hospital has the capability of measuring your female dog’s progesterone level using the Idexx Catalyst machine in approximately 15 minutes once the blood is drawn.
- Progesterone allows us to time the LH surge (Luteinizing Hormone) and Ovulation which allows us to determine the best time(s) for breeding.
- Regardless of the dates that a dog is bred, we know that gestation lasts 63 days (+/- 24 hours) from the time of ovulation. Knowing when ovulation occurs based on progesterone allows us to help plan a C-section in high risk pregnancy breeds such as Bulldogs.
- If you need to plan a C-section but are unsure of when ovulation was, we can begin testing progesterone when we get near her delivery date. If progesterone has dropped to less than 2ng/mL, this is usually a good indicator that the puppy’s lungs are mature enough to survive and a C-section can be performed. Other ways that our doctors will evaluate if she is ready for a C-section include abdominal ultrasound to check the puppy’s intestines and kidney development along with ultrasound evaluation of puppy’s heart rates.